Faculty Borrowing Privileges
The term "faculty" applies to University personnel holding faculty rank at or above the level of instructor, and to librarians and administrative "A" employees. The Faculty Records Office is consulted when questions arise about rank. Faculty privileges are also granted to certain research associates, professional staff connected with government laboratories located on campus, personnel with faculty rank at the Agricultural Experiment Stations, Cooperative Extension Service (with faculty rank or status), and Marine Institute.
Please check out the following summary of Faculty Borrowing Privileges:
- Loan Periods - most books charged to faculty have a loan period of 1 year. Faculty may keep bound volumes of periodicals for 7 days.
- Proxy - a faculty member can designate a student, secretary, or someone else to charge out material for the faculty member's use.
- Library Privileges for Dependents - spouses and children of faculty are eligible for borrowing privileges.
- Reciprocal Faculty Borrowing Program - a program of the Research Libraries Advisory Committee to OCLC that allows faculty members of participating institutions borrowing privileges and on-site access to the collections of some of the most important research libraries in North America. Please contact the Circulation Office (706.542.3256 or email@example.com) for more informations about the program.
- Recalls - a book charged out to another patron can be recalled.
- Delivery - faculty may have books delivered to their office.
- Fines - faculty are not charged overdue fines but are responsible for fines on recalled items.
- Blocks - faculty will lose library privileges for historically overdue items and outstanding obligations.
Faculty Borrowing Privileges and Obligations
A picture ID card is required to borrow materials from the University of Georgia Libraries. While the preferred form of identification is the UGACard, a government issued current, valid picture ID such as a driver's license or a Georgia ID card, a US passport or a US military ID may be used instead.
Faculty may keep books with standard circulation periods for 1 year. Items may be renewed two times online without bringing them into the library. Exceptions to this guideline include: rare books, periodicals, microforms, newspapers, Leisure Collection, and others materials. The Leisure Collection circulates for 14 days. Faculty may check out bound volumes of periodicals for 7 days. Current issues of periodicals circulate for 3 hours.
Books are subject to recall for use by other patrons. The loan period of items recalled for other patrons becomes shortened. Items recalled by another patron should be returned as soon as possible. Recall overdue fines are $1.00 per day, per item. Faculty are responsible for paying recall overdue fines.
A faculty member who fails to return recalled library materials after being notified or who does not renew or return outstanding items will have his/her library privileges revoked. Full library privileges will be reinstated when the outstanding obligations are cleared. This library policy was adopted by the University Council on March 10, 1972.
If a faculty member loses a book, the price of the book plus a $35.00 processing fee is assessed. If the book is found later, the price of the book is refundable. The processing fee is not refundable.
Payment for recall fines and fees can be made in person at the Main and Science Libraries' circulation desks with cash, check, or credit card. Payments can also be made via telephone with a credit card or by mail with a check or money order paid to the order of UGA Libraries.
Contact Information for the Main and Science Libraries:
|Main Library||Science Library|
|Access Services Department||Access Services Department|
|University of Georgia Libraries||University of Georgia Libraries|
|Main Library||Science Library|
|Athens, Georgia 30602-1641||Athens, Georgia 30602-7412|
|Phone: 706.542.3256||Phone: 706.542.4535|
These policies apply to the Main and Science Libraries only. Please contact the Law Library for information concerning their faculty privileges and obligations.
A faculty member may want a student, secretary, or other representative to charge out material for the faculty member's use. This proxy must present an authorization form, completed and signed by the faculty member to one of the Circulation supervisors for approval. Faculty authorization forms are available online or can be picked up at the Circulation desks. The faculty member is responsible for any charges. Permission is granted for one year; the expiration date should always be included on the faculty authorization form. Please allow one business day for processing.
Spouses and children of faculty are eligible for borrowing privileges when they present a faculty/staff dependent UGACard and a completed dependent voucher signed by the sponsoring faculty/staff member.
A book charged out to another patron can be recalled. When the book is returned, the faculty member will receive e-mail notification . Upon request, these materials can be sent through the delivery service.
Delivery and Pick-Up services are offered by the Main and Science Libraries. For more information, call Main Library Circulation at 706.542.3256 or Science Library Circulation at 706.542.4535.