Finding Aid for UGA Sigma Xi Awards for Excellence 1960-1984 (04-006)
.5 linear feet : one Hollinger box
Record Group 6.3
Introduction to the Collection
Sigma Xi, The Scientific Research Society, was founded in 1886. A non-profit society, its membership consist of approximately 75,000 scientists and engineers who are elected for membership in the Society as a result of either their research achievements or potential. The University of Georgia's own chapter of Sigma Xi began in 1946 with 31 charter members and is one of more than 500 chapters found throughout the world.
Scope and Content
The activities of UGA's chapter of Sigma Xi during the years 1960 through 1984 are represented by this chronologically organized collection. Accession number UGA 04-006 consists of correspondence and other information about UGA's chapter of Sigma Xi and the "Sigma Xi Excellence in Research Award". Related collections include UGA 97-105:44 (Sigma Xi Honorary Papers 1939-1960) and UGA 97-105:45 (Sigma Xi Financial Records 1945-1985).
- Sigma Xi : The Research Society-University of Georgia Chapter. 24 March 2004 http://www.sigmaxi.org/chapters/web/index.php?chapter_id=76&page_id=214.
- LXN1.S6 G3. A Petition For the Establishment of a Chapter of the Society of the Sigma Xi at the University of Georgia Athens, Georgia, October, 1945.
- Sigma Xi 1960-1965 [Correspondence, membership, and programs]
- Sigma Xi 1966-1969 [Correspondence, membership, and programs]
- Sigma Xi 1970-1984 [Correspondence, membership, and programs]
- Sigma Xi Excellence 1967 [Correspondence relating to award]
Processed by Carol Bishop