Finding Aid for
Law School Historic Photographs
1889-1967 (UGA 05-016)
Record Group 2-19, School of Law
1.25 Linear Feet : one oversize flat box, one map folder
Scope and Contents:
This collection consists of historic photographs of students and faculty of the UGA School of Law, transferred from the School in 2005. In addition to images related to the Law School, there are subjects such as the 1891 UGA Base Ball Club (right) and the cryptic 1891 photograph inscribed "The Chi Phi Girls" (below), both shown much reduced in size.
For preservation framed items were removed from frames, minimizing contact with acidic materials, and gently cleaned of dust. All items in this collection were photographed by the Libraries Photoservices for the Law School. Reference numbers for the negatives are recorded on the backs of the photographs.
Box 05-016: 1
- 1889 Law Class. An attached note from the donor states that the donor's uncle, James P. Shattuck, stands second from the left in the second row and that T.W. Reed also appears in the photo. A duplicate of this photo in the Hargrett UGA Oversize Photo Files included a key, which has been copied and filed in this collection.
- 1891-92 UGA Sophmore Class. Students, many in militia uniforms, on steps of Moore College. Names keyed to picture in border, but corner is missing with identification of students 1-12 and 16-18.
- 1891 UGA B.B.C. (Base Ball Club, judging from clothing). Names given on border.
- "The Chi Phi Girls, June 12, 1891". Young men and women, and older men including Dr. H.C. White. Names keyed to picture on border.
- 1898 Law Class. Composite photo including Law faculty & Chancellor Boggs.
- 1900 Law Class. Graduation photo on steps of Chapel.
- 1906 Senior Law Class. Composite photo including Law faculty & Chancellor Hill
- Class of 1926
- 1930's group shot. Appears to be reunion of UGA Class of 1893, although some shown are also members of the Law Class of 1895. Names given on border.
- Group shot in front of Hirsch Hall. Appears to be Law Class of 1948.
- 1965 Law Class
- Envelope 1: Class of 1931; Presentation of keys to Hirsch Hall, 1932; President Sanford and Law Faculty & Staff on front steps of Hirsch Hall, c. 1932: Phi Delta Phi Initiation Valentine Banquet, 1936; Group of men including Law School members, c. 1936.
- Envelope 2: Class of 1932-1933 and 1975 letter regarding acceptance of photograph.
- Envelope 3: Members and faculty advisor of Student Editorial Board, Georgia Bar Journal, 1962-1963
Map Folder 05-016: 1
- Class of 1893. This composite photo of students and faculty is undated, but was a gift of S.H. Sibley, a member of the Law Class of 1893.
- Class of 1960
- Class of 1962
- Class of 1963
- Class of 1964
- Class of 1965
- Class of 1966
- Class of 1967
Processed by Steven Brown, with assistance from Jill Birch of the UGA School of Law and UGA Libraries Photo Archivist, Nelson Morgan.