Finding Aid for The John Q. Harvey & Mattielu Branan Harvey Education Papers, c. 1908-1925 (UGA 07-010)
Record Group: SNS (State Normal School)
.5 linear feet (1 document box, 1 oversize)
John Quitman Harvey and his wife, Mattielu Branan Harvey, were both graduates of the State Normal School in Athens. After graduation in 1910, Mr. Harvey taught school for some 15 years in Early, Miller and Talbot Counties in Georgia. His collection suggests that he was much interested in progressive causes of the day, particularly concerning improvement in education, sanitation, health and rural life.
Scope and Contents
The collection contains both State Normal School items and materials related to public affairs. Of particular interest are the various publications and broadsides related to education, health and rural life concerns of the period 1910-1925. Of special note are the c. 1910 University of Georgia felt scrapbook, the booklet on rural home design by the noted Athens architect of the Craftsman period, Fred J. Orr; and the eye-catching illustrated broadside on fly control.
- State Normal School materials – publications and records of J.Q. Harvey as student.
- Outline of a Plan to Help Country Home Owners in Georgia by Fred J. Orr [includes essay and Craftsman style house plans by SNS students].
- Postcards of State Normal School and Athens
- Levana for 1907, yearbook of the State Normal School
- Levana for 1908
- Algo for 1914, yearbook of the State Normal School
- Pamphlets on improving education
- Pamphlets on health and sanitation
- Pamphlets on social and political issues of the day
Box 07-010:2 – Oversized material
- Felt scrapbook with “College Memories, U of G” on cover, c. 1910. Contents include some SNS publications and mementos, plus newspaper clippings and typed items.
- “From Flies and Filth to Foods and Fever”, broadside on fly control from Georgia Medical Association, c. 1910; “Are You in Favor of Better Schools?”, broadside from Newton County, Georgia; Normal School Journal, vol. 1, no. 5, for May 1910, includes photograph of 1910 graduation class, SNS.
- Diploma from State Normal School awarded to Mattielu Branan, June 8, 1914 and diploma from the Summer School of the University of Georgia awarded to0 Adrian Trammell, August 5, 1916.
Obviously interested in sanitation and public health, Mr. Harvey preserved an excellent (and vividly illustrated) broadside on fly control, issued by the Georgia Medical Association. To see the full broadside, click on the sample image, right.