Finding Aid for Mary Lyndon, Dean of Women, Papers, 1915-1964 (UGA 97-105:153)
.5 linear feet : one ms. box
On June 17th, 1914, Mary Dorothy Lyndon was granted a Master of Arts degree thus becoming the University of Georgia’s first female graduate. When women were finally admitted as full students during the 1919-1920 school year, Mary Lyndon was nominated by Chancellor David C. Barrow and then elected by the University Board of Trustees to the positions of Associate Professor of Education and Dean of Women.
During her tenure at the University Mary Lyndon participated in numerous activities both on and off campus. She taught classes in the Peabody School of Education, directed the Thalian Dramatic Club, helped organize the University chapter of the Phi Mu Sorority, and founded the Pioneer Club. In addition, Mary Lyndon acted as the recording secretary for the Athens YWCA, was elected secretary of the local Daughters of the Revolution chapter, and taught Sunday school at the First Methodist Church of Athens.
Both the local and University community mourned Mary Lyndon’s untimely death from pneumonia on April 5, 1924. In 1936 a women’s dormitory on the University of Georgia campus was named Mary Lyndon Hall in her honor.
Scope and Content:
This collection consists of period photographs and correspondence, along with tributes written upon her death in 1924. In addition there are numerous programs, photographs, and letters associated with the celebration of Mary Lyndon Day in 1964.
For preservation purposes newspaper clippings have been photocopied with the originals removed and placed in folder number 7. Photographs that were housed in non-archival plastic coverings have been removed from their casings and placed within archival quality paper sleeves.
Mary Lyndons 1914 graduation gown, originally found in accession uga 97-105.140, was incorporated into this collection and is found in box 2.
Ga Room CT230 .D53 1983 v.2. Dictionary of Georgia Biography. Edited by Kenneth Coleman and Charles Stephen Gurr. Athens, Ga: The University of Georgia Press, 1983
Ga Room LD1984 .B66 1989. Boney, F. N. A Walking Tour of The University of Georgia. Athens, Ga: The University of Georgia Press, 1989.
Also of interest is box #97-105.140 containing Mary Lyndon’s Graduation Gown 1914.
- Mary Lyndon Collection Clippings, Programs, Etc. Includes copies of Mary Lyndon’s UGA class registration cards, slides of her diploma, and a 1922 memorandum for the Girls’ Rifle Club.
- Mary Lyndon Collection Memorial Service. Includes Mary Lyndon’s obituaries from The Red and Black and Athens Banner Herald along with tributes presented at her 1924 Memorial Service.
- Mary Lyndon Collection Pictures. Includes photographs of Mary Lyndon and of Mary Lyndon Day in 1964.
- Mary Lyndon Collection Letters. Includes Christmas cards from Mary Lyndon and her mother along with other correspondence.
- Mary Lyndon Collection Mary Lyndon Day 1964 . Correspondence related to planning for Mary Lyndon Day in 1964.
- Mary Lyndon Collection Mary Lyndon Day 1964 . Additional correspondence related to planning for Mary Lyndon Day in 1964.
- Original Newspaper Clippings.
Mary Lyndon's Graduation Gown, 1914.
Processed by Carol Bishop.