From Ahmedunggar to Lavonia:
Presidents at the University of Georgia 1785-1997
Omer C. Aderhold
Born November 7, 1899, Lavonia, GA; Died July 4, 1969, Athens, GA. B.S.A. (1923), M.S. (1930) Univ. of Georgia; PhD. Ohio State Univ. (1938); Hon. LL.D. Mercer Univ. (1959).
Aderhold joined the UGA faculty in 1929 as an Associate Professor of Education. In 1945, he became Dean of Education, and in 1950 accepted the Presidency at UGA. Following his retirement in 1967, he was a consultant on science and graduate education for the Southern Regional Education Board.
During Aderhold's tenure, the value of the University physical plant increased from $12 million to over $100 million, with the promise for more development in the immediate years ahead. This growth came as a result of Aderhold's call for expanded roles of teaching, research, and service to the citizens of Georgia. The Atlanta Division was severed in 1955; it would become Georgia State University. A major private contributor to the growth of the University was the Kellogg Foundation, whose interest in UGA in 1953 found fullest expression in the Georgia Center for Continuing Education, which was brought to fruition in 1957. Growth warranted planning, and the Brumbaugh Study (1958) was a comprehensive examination of the status of programs at UGA, and the perfect planning document for the institution's future. Desegregation came to the University in 1961 with the admission of Hamilton Holmes and Charlayne Hunter (though the issue had its roots in the Horace Ward controversy of 1950). Mary Frances Early became the first black Graduate student, in spring of 1962, and the University was on its way to a new era of change.
Reed Hall (1953); Library (1953); Myers Hall (1954); Georgia Center for Continuing Education (1957); Science Center (Physics/Geography-Geology-Speech/ Chemistry/ Biological Science/Livestock-Poultry/Food Science Buildings, 1959-60); Visual Arts Building (1961); Mell Hall (1961); Lipscomb Hall (1961); Hill Hall (1961); Tucker Hall (1961); Church Hall (1961); Boggs Hall (1961); Oglethorpe House (1963); Bolton Hall (1963); Creswell Hall (1963); Pharmacy Building (1964); Coliseum (1964); University Village (1964-66); Driftmier Engineering Center (1966); Brumby Hall (1966); Russell Hall (1967); McWhorter Hall (1967).
All images on the Hargrett site are either protected by copyright law, or are the property of the University of Georgia Libraries, Hargrett Library. Permission to publish must be obtained from both the Hargrett Library, and/or the legal copyright holder. See: Permission to Publish