POSITION: Shelving Assistant (Library Assistant II)
DEPARTMENT: Access Services
ANNUAL SALARY: $22,260
The Shelving Assistant is responsible to the Stack Supervisor for assisting with the general operations of the Shelving Unit. The Shelving Assistant helps with the training and supervision of a large work force of part-time students and shelvers, shelf-reads and shifts library material as needed. In addition, the Shelving Assistant assists with operations related to the Librariesí remote storage facility (Repository). Work is performed under general supervision following established practices and procedures. Work at a computer terminal is required.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
20% Processes and routes materials to the Main Library and Repository stacks by sensitizing, sorting and shelving books.
20% Assists with shifting at the Main Library and Repository by keeping Stack Supervisor updated as to status of areas and planning shifts to alleviate the situation.
20% Provides a knowledgeable and well-trained student assistant workforce by orienting student assistants to the Library and training them in the use of the Library of Congress Classification System.
20% Coordinates personnel matters by assisting in the interviewing, training scheduling, testing and supervision of student assistants.
10% Completes assigned projects and assists in other areas of the Department in order to facilitate work flow by offering services to other staff when appropriate and with the permission of the immediate supervisor.
4% Maintains flexibility and awareness of changes and needs in the department and organization by assuming similar duties and responsibilities as assigned.
2% Participates in shelf-reading by helping assign sections to and monitoring the shelf reading progress of student assistants.
2% Participates in library-wide communication by reading, responding to, and initiating information transmitted via GRAPEVINE (the Librariesí listserv) and other communication tools, and appropriate library-wide or departmental meetings and asking questions, seeking clarification, or initiating discussion on library issues.
2% Maintains a clean driving record while operating Librariesí vehicles.
Education, Experience, Licensure, Certification required:
- One year of college education AND 6 months of library or related clerical/customer service experience required; OR one year of library or related clerical/customer service experience; OR any equivalent combination of experience, training and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved;
- Must have a valid Georgia driver's license.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and/or Competencies required to successfully perform work:
- Experience performing routine tasks accurately, quickly, and with close attention to detail;
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships;
- Effective verbal and written communication skills;
- Experience planning and implementing project-based tasks.
- Supervisory skills preferred;
- A history of safe driving with at least one year of driving experience preferred.
- Vigorous physical activity such as standing for long periods of time, stooping, pushing book trucks, climbing ladders, and picking up boxes of library materials (weighing approximately 35 pounds each).
- M-F; 8 hrs/day; some evening and weekend work may be required.
Only applications submitted through the University of Georgia's Human Resources Employment website will be considered. Please visit the University of Georgia's Human Resources Employment website at https://www.ugajobsearch.com/applicants/jsp/shared/Welcome_css.jsp and follow the instructions to submit an online application. Position posting number = 20121729.