POSITION: Borrowing Supervisor and Bibliographic Searcher for Interlibrary Loan (Library Associate III)
DEPARTMENT: Interlibrary Loan
ANNUAL SALARY: $27,000
The Borrowing Supervisor and Bibliographic Searcher for Interlibrary Loan is responsible to the Interlibrary Loan Librarian for managing the daily borrowing activities of the department and for supervising two full time employees. This position assists patrons in obtaining materials not owned by the UGA Libraries by managing the sending and processing of requests, verifying and solving difficult requests, and assisting patrons with questions/problems about requests at the Interlibrary Loan Desk, by phone, and email. This position is active in recommending, writing proposals for, and implementing changes in policies and procedures by staying aware of technological innovations in the field in addition to developments in national and international protocol. The person in this position is expected to perform independently, use excellent analytical skills, and work constructively in team efforts with the ability to exercise sound judgment in problem-solving. Work is performed independently on the basis of the general assignment of responsibilities and involves exercising considerable discretion and judgment.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
33% *Verify and solve problems with difficult interlibrary loan requests by utilizing knowledge of specialized and dynamic bibliographic tools online and also in book form. Utilize knowledge of web sources to search for information to assist in verification of complex problem requests. Expedite the sending of requests to other libraries by reviewing, tracking, and making key decisions on borrowing requests.
30% *Supervise the Borrowing Unit by overseeing all aspects of the daily activities of the Unit including supervising support staff by hiring, training, overseeing the work of, and evaluating 2 full time employees.
15% *Act as primary liaison for patrons with difficult questions or problem requests by communicating in person, by phone, and email. Solve complex bibliographic problems, in addition to policy and procedural problems, answer questions, and diffuse difficult situations with patrons by utilizing knowledge of Libraries’ policies and procedures, bibliographic tools, and by using customer service skills and experience.
5% *Make changes to ILLiad using the Customization Manager as needed; assess effectiveness of ILLiad functionality, proposing changes when needed; maintain awareness of changes (including updates) and problems with ILLiad software through the ILLiad listserv.
5% Act as troubleshooter for problems with materials supplied by other libraries by using knowledge of our and other libraries’ policies and procedures and also knowledge of, and experience with, standard interlibrary loan protocol.
5% Contribute to the continued smooth operation of the Unit in the absence of the Interlibrary Loan Librarian by handling difficult problems or situations, referring patrons to Libraries’ administration when necessary, and by giving an account to the Interlibrary Loan Librarian upon his/her return.
3% Participate in establishing and implementing changes in policies and procedures for the Borrowing Unit by maintaining awareness of technological innovations in the field, reviewing procedures for effectiveness, and sharing information concerning needs or problems with the Interlibrary Loan Librarian.
2% Participate in library-wide communication by reading, responding to, and initiating information transmitted via GRAPEVINE, Library Update, and appropriate library-wide or departmental meetings and asking questions, seeking clarification, or initiating discussion on library issues.
2% Maintain flexibility and awareness of changes and needs in the Unit by assuming other relevant duties and responsibilities as assigned.
* = essential function of the position
Education, Experience, Licensure, Certification required:
- Bachelors degree AND three years related progressively responsible library experience which includes one year of supervisory or management experience; OR seven years progressively responsible library, archives, information center or related work experience which includes one year of supervisory or management experience; OR any equivalent combination of experience, training, and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills, and abilities have been achieved.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and/or Competencies required to successfully perform work:
- Considerable experience in bibliographic searching in a technological environment;
- Ability to conduct complex bibliographic searches and to direct simpler ones;
- Thoroughness and close attention to detail;
- Organizational skills;
- Effective oral and written communication skills;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships;
- Demonstrated successful supervisory experience, preferably in an environment providing public service;
- Ability to deal tactfully and courteously with library patrons. Some knowledge of one or more foreign languages.
- Experience with ILLiad interlibrary loan management software strongly preferred.
- Sitting for long periods of time at a computer terminal is required.
- Position also entails lifting books and other material weighing approximately 8 pounds.
- M – F; 8 hrs/day; some evening and weekend work may be required.
Only applications submitted through the University of Georgia's Human Resources Employment website will be considered. Please visit the University of Georgia's Human Resources Employment website at https://www.ugajobsearch.com/applicants/jsp/shared/Welcome_css.jsp and follow the instructions to submit an online application. Position posting number = 20130158.
The University of Georgia Libraries values diversity in its faculty, students, and staff and strongly encourages applications from underrepresented minority candidates. The University of Georgia is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer.